Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Waking up

Its been more than a year since I've posted anything here.
But so much has happened in the past year, that there really has been no time.
I'm barely keeping up the movie blog; this one has been completely neglected.

After the major surgery earlier this year, I lost weight initially, and then suddenly put on almost all of it back. While I have always been curvy and the weight has always distributed itself all over, this time, the weight increase is somehow limited to the upper abdominal area. I ended up doing a boolean search, and found that this is related to the kind of surgery I went through. My body's capacity to break down fats is now down to less than half of its earlier ability, and that translates into weight gain if I continue the pre-surgery lifestyle.

This doesn't make me happy.

Regardless, I don't want to get sicker either. I cant exercise yet, but I've started 15 minutes of light yoga a day, along with a daily walk for 20 minutes, until a few months pass and I can do real exercises.

I am also going to try doing a food diary here, and hopefully I shall stick to it as well.

Today I ate:

Breakfast:
  • 5 ounces of cheese, cheddar
  • 1.5 slices of bread, whole wheat
  • 1 small coffee, skimmed milk
Lunch:
  • An In n Out cheeseburger
  • 1/2 a serving of fries
  • Diet soda
Dinner:
  • 2 slices of bread, whole wheat
  • eggplant, potato and squash stir fry with nigella seeds
  • 1 piece of pickle
  • A handful of potato chips
Late night cravings:
  • Another handful of potato chips
Self critique:
  • I don't think I eat a lot, but my diet is obviously lacking in fresh veggies.
  • I also intend to limit dairy to 15 ounces a week- I don't drink milk, but the yogurt and cheese need to be limited.
  • Plus limit animal protein to once a week- that will be a bit hard, but I can only try.
  • Also need to limit potato chips- a lifelong crutch.
  • I need to go to fresh and easy tomorrow & get some fresh produce!
  • I obviously don't have much of a sweet tooth which is one blessing.
  • I need to increase the number of meals I have a day to six- add healthy snacks like almonds and such. Weight gain on the limited amount of food I consume also probably indicates slow metabolism.

Tomorrow will be a better day.




No comments: