Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Artwork

I have been a pencil and pastel artist since a wee babe, but hadnt cracked open the newsprint sheets now for almost 8 years, despite frequent pushes by my dad, and gentler nudges from my husband to do so.

I tried doing some work a few months ago, and failed miserably. My figures, to put it plainly, were crap. I have always drawn the female form, but the sketches I was coming up with looked like weird stick figures, if anything.

And then last weekend, my sister came over, and gave me some rapid action poses, which basically charged up my sketching hand. Did a few pages worth of 1 minute squiggles, that helped my hand remember what it is capable of.

And last night, it came back! I got inspired, worked on a pencil scetch, and finished the entire piece in a marathon session of about 5 hours (which means I had a very very sleep day :) ). It isnt perfection yet, but I am getting there, and will continue to work further. At least I have the perspective and proportions correct.
I am not posting any of it up- the textural quality needs to be right first.

2 comments:

TNL said...

aww...I wish you had posted it. I can only do cartoons.
my ayurvedic blog is up and running...do send me an email so I can send you an invite...only if you'd like of course.

spicewholovedme@yahoo.ca

Shweta Mehrotra Gahlawat said...

I am sending, I am sending, with compulsive alacrity!:D

I am my own worst critic- I admit my hand is back, but the colors and colors and textures need much work, and you deserve quality viewership :D heeh